How to splice and solder wires so they will hold.
1) Strip wires to be spliced together about 3/4" (picture 1)
2) Cross wires (picture 2) and twist them (picture 3)
3) Solder wires starting in middle to minimize insulation melting (picture 4)
4) Make sure entire connection is soldered (picture 5)
5) Cover entire joint with heat shrink tubing overlapping wire about 1/2" (picture 6)
Don't solder wires without twisting them together. As shown in the pictures below, they pull apart very easy and will not hold up over time.